Like most websites, we use cookies and other similar technologies for a number of reasons, such as keeping our website reliable and secure, personalizing content, providing social media features and to better understand how our site is used. By using our site, you are agreeing to our use of these tools. Please review our Privacy Policy to learn more. 

Skip to Content

Veteran Benefits & Services

Getting Started with VA Education Benefitsveteran and active duty seal

  1. Visit Application for Education Benefits (VONAPP) to complete all required Department of Veterans Affairs documents

  2. Apply to Bryan College of Health Sciences

  3. Submit a Veterans Education Form (VEF)

  4. Submit a VA Certificate of Eligibility
    Bryan College of Health Sciences requires all students who plan to utilize Veterans Education Benefits* to submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Award Letter to the School Certifying Official prior to the first term of enrollment.
    *This requirement does not apply to Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E).

  5. Forward all college transcripts and military training records to (electronic transcripts accepted):
    Bryan College of Health Sciences
    1535 S. 52nd St.
    Lincoln, NE 68506-1398

  6. Contact VA Regional Office for Nebraska to find out what benefits and services you're eligible for.
    Call 1-888-442-4551.

Important Considerations

  • You must be a degree-seeking student
  • You must declare a major by the time you accumulate 60 credit hours (this number includes transfer hours)
  • Generally, VA will not pay for courses that are not required for your program of study or do not count toward your graduation requirements
  • Benefits are not payable for repeating a course that has been successfully completed
  • Benefits are not payable for repeating courses solely to raise your cumulative grade point average (GPA)
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that courses you take comply fully with VA requirements

Transfer Credit for Military Service Members

Veterans of the armed forces who are honorably discharged and current active duty personnel will generally be granted credit for their military experience in accordance with the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE). Service members must submit an official copy of their military record for evaluation. Air Force records should be obtained from the Community College of the Air Force. Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard and/or Navy records should be obtained from the Joint Services Transcript (JST). A minimum of 32 credit hours must be completed in your program major at Bryan College of Health Sciences.   

Leave of Absence

You may submit a request to the Registrar for a leave of absence. The date of re-enrollment will be determined based on numbers of students in each course and the sequence of courses. The request must be submitted prior to the start of the leave of absence, unless unforeseen circumstances arise. The leave of absence may not exceed one year; however, financial aid repayment will begin after 180 days. When returning to the course the student will start at the beginning of the course, regardless of where they were at the time the leave of absence was requested.

Failure to return from an approved leave of absence shall be considered a withdrawal from Bryan College of Health Sciences. The withdrawal date shall reflect the start date of the leave of absence even though the leave was approved. The withdrawal policy will then be implemented.

You may be required to complete transition activities if a one semester gap occurs between courses. You and your faculty member will collaborate to determine individualized activities designed to promote your success in the program. Transition activities must be completed prior to resuming courses.

Leave of Absence procedure students requesting a leave of absence from Bryan College of Health Sciences must carry out the following procedure:

  1. Present to the Registrar a written request (“Leave of Absence Form”), which includes the date the leave starts and the date the student will return to school. The written request must document the reason for the leave of absence and explanation of reasonable intent to return to complete the course of study.
  2. Return all resource materials to the library and skills lab equipment to the Library/Skills Lab.
  3. Prior to the date of return, the student will receive a written communication regarding course placement and required transition activities. Questions regarding course placement are to be directed to the Registrar.

To prevent any delays in payment, keep the School Certifying Official informed of your enrollment and any changes in enrollment status throughout the semester and/or summer sessions you are attending.

Educational Resources for Veterans


Phone: 1-888-GIBILL®-1

Available 24/7 for VA education benefit questions
To reach a VA Education Case Manager, call 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The St. Louis, Missouri VA Regional Processing Office (RPO) has established an education toll-free phone service for students with VA Educational Benefits. This toll-free number features information for veterans and dependents on your own VA education account with Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB):

Chapter 30:
Active Duty

Chapter 31:
For questions about Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefits, Chapter 31, call 800-872-1000.

Chapter 33:
Post 9/11: Veterans and Dependents

Chapter 35:
Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)
Important Notice for Chapter 35 Dependents
Nebraska State Educational Benefits. You may also be eligible for a tuition waiver through the State Department of Veterans Affairs. For further application information, contact the State Department of Veterans Affairs, State Office Bldg, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE, 68508 or phone 402-471-2458.

Chapter 1606:
Selected Reserve

Chapter 1607:
Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)

*WAVE Notice for Chapter 30, 1606, 1607 Veterans
Once you have been certified by Bryan College of Health Sciences SCO and your certification has been processed by the VA, you need to do a monthly verification to the VA at the end of each month of enrollment.

You can do this one of two ways:

1. Online: Verify your enrollment online through the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program


2. Phone: Call 877-823-2378

Additional Online Resources

Educational Questions and FAQs:

National Veteran Crisis Hotline:

Nebraska Department of Veteran Affairs:

Statement of Veterans Benefits and Transition Act

The President signed into law the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 on December 31, 2018, which contains a provision in Section 103 that takes effect on August 1, 2019. In accordance with Section 103, while payment to the institution is pending from the Veterans Administration for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Chapter 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31) benefits, Bryan College of Health Sciences will not: Assess a late fee; Prevent enrollment or deny access to classes; Deny access to any student resources (library, student services, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition/fees to the institution; Require that the VA recipient secure alternative or additional funding to cover financial obligations to the institution due to delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veteran and Eligible Person Standard of Progress Policy A veteran and/or eligible person must make satisfactory progress toward an approved educational objective leading to employment. The veteran and/or eligible person Standard of Progress will be determined utilizing the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy as listed in the College Catalog and Student Handbook.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

A Dedicated Team to Ensure Your Success

Deann Bayne,
Registrar and Veteran Certifying Official

Office: 315

Heidi Little,
Assistant Professor of Nursing and Veteran Support Group Coordinator

Office: 303

Mel Stutzman,
Professional Development Counselor

Office: 216

Alethea Stovall,
Dean of Students


Maggie Hackwith,
Director of Financial Aid

Office: 234

Bryan College of Health Sciences

Copyright 2022 Bryan College of Health Sciences. All rights reserved.