- PhD, UNMC
- MSN, Nurse Anesthesia, University of Iowa
- BSN, University of Iowa
- ADN, North Dakota State University
I am the Associate Professor and Assistant Program Director in the School of Nurse Anesthesia. I have taught didactic anesthesia courses since 2010; primarily in Advanced Principles of Nurse Anesthesia. I have mentored several nurse anesthesia students for publications of their capstone works. I have clinical experience in anesthesia including rural anesthesia practice, moderate-sized private practice anesthesia groups, and large academic settings. My prior registered nursing experience includes intensive care settings of Surgical ICU, Neuro ICU, and General Medical/Surgical ICU. I have also served on multiple committees at Bryan College of Health Sciences including Faculty Senate Chair for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Notable publications authored/co-author:
1) Pecka, S., Schmid, K., & Pozehl, B. (2014). Psychometric testing of the Pecka grading rubric for evaluating higher order thinking in distance learning. AANA Journal, 82(6), 449-456.
2) Pecka, S., Kotcherlakota, S., & Berger, A.M. (2014). The community of inquiry model: Advancing distance learning in nurse anesthesia education. AANA Journal, 82(3), 212-218.
3) Pecka, S., & Dexter, F. (1997). Assessment of the Interventions of Anesthesia Providers for Monitored Anesthesia Care during Cataract Extraction. AANA Journal, 65(4), 357-360. 4) Poster Presentation: "Psychometric Properties of the Pecka Grading Rubric" - Midwest Nursing Research Society: St. Louis, MO(2014)
Professional Service and Recognition:
- Serves on the editorial board of the International Student Journal of Nurse Anesthesia.
- Served on the board for the Nebraska Association of Nurse Anesthetists. The last 2 years of services was as Secretary/Treasurer of the organization.
- Serves as a peer reviewer for the Higher Learning Commission
- Has served as a scholarly reviewer for multiple journals as well the textbook "Nurse Anesthesia, 5th edition" by Nagelhout & Plaus
- Served as the Chair of the Institutional Review Board at Bryan College of Health Sciences
- Served as a member of the NBCRNA CPC Program Review Panel
- Has presented at several state meetings for the Nebraska Association of Nurse Anesthetists and at Bryan College of Health Sciences